Monday, October 29, 2007

I fought the shawl

And right now, we're at a draw. I started Muir yesterday, and I can now confidently say that I can do a provisional crochet cast-on. In fact, I've now done it four times. Every time I thought I had things working, I'd discover little problems like too few stitches at the end of the first pattern row, and I'd end up starting over. I have so many stitch markers in this sucker it's a wonder I can see my stitches.

So I needed something else, something for when I need mindless knitting. I have the yarn for Twinkletoes and for Hedera, but I found out this morning that I didn't have size 1 or size 6 dpns. I went to the close LYS (which shall still remain nameless) and the service was wonderful, even though they didn't have what I needed, but the other customers still looked at me like something the cat dragged in. The woman who helped me was really cool, though, and it occurs to me that both of my really good experiences there have had her in common. I'm going to try to figure out when she's there and when there is not an afternoon class going on, and see if I have a really good experience. I don't want to do the people taking the classes out of their class time, but if the only person there waiting on people also appears to be teaching the class, and the class is in the middle of the store in the middle of the afternoon for two hours, well, there's a natural conflict of interest there between the class and customers. At any rate, maybe everyone won't hate me for being there if I can just figure out when would be a good time to go.

I ended up at Woolie Ewe again for the needles because I still needed them. I was good, and only bought needles.

I'm wondering if my head will stop hurting when I get my bar pass results. It's hurt every day for nearly a week, ever since they started painting the damned McMansion across the alley, so I think it's partly paint allergy and partly stress.

No comments: